January Surgery Patients

If you have a January surgery date... you can support each other here... maybe even plan to meet on surgery day.

Disclaimer: While this board is generally a safe place, please use caution when coordinating travel/meetings with other patients.

• 3 weeks later...

Any January Bandsters out there yet?

I am taking my wife down for her band on the 12th. We had planned to go in October, but she had some issues that postponed things for a few months. So far it looks like we should be able to go. Our anniversary is the 13th, so a long weekend in Mexico sounded like a good idea to me. :D

Let me know if anyone is down for surgery or a fill around that time.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

I'll speak up for Terri a friend my wife and I are going to be bring down to be banded on the 15th. She is a very personable and would love to make contact with any other 15th banders. She is not a computer person so contact me and I'll pass on her telephone number with her permission.

If you have a January surgery date... you can support each other here... maybe even plan to meet on surgery day.

Disclaimer: While this board is generally a safe place, please use caution when coordinating travel/meetings with other patients.

Hi Lori and all!

I am a January bandgirl. My date is Jan 8th............................ I'm nervous as a three-legged cat in a sandbox but I'm excited too. I will be posting more often now so as to get to know y'all.

Susan :-h

Hi Lori and all!

I am a January bandgirl. My date is Jan 8th............................ I'm nervous as a three-legged cat in a sandbox but I'm excited too. I will be posting more often now so as to get to know y'all.

Hi Susan, I was banded on November 30th and was nervous and didn't even want to tell anyone I was going to TJ to have surgery. I have to say how wonderful the staff was and the clinic was cleaner than any hospital I have been in here in the states, I've had experience on that end in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Florida. Everyone is so nice over there, I am still raving to anyone who will listen what a positive experience it was. The staff is awesome and Dr. Ortiz has every right to be extremely proud of both his facility and his staff. Relax, it's going to be a great experience.

Hello everyone, I am being banded January 4th, and I going to TJ by myself, so am kind of nervous about that, but Lori has been great with answering all my questions, and I am always reading this and other forums, so I have found out alot of things that way. I plan on going shopping this wknd to buy supplies for when I get home from TJ, so if anyone has suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

Kellie

Hi Lori and all!

Hi Susan,

I'm from Alberta Canada, and I'm booked for January 8th as well. I'm flying in Jan 7th so maybe see you there. Talk to you later.

Gail

Hello Roger! I will be flying down on 1/11 for a 1/12 surgery date! I'd love to at least say hello :)

Lea Anne

HI LeaAnne, We're also flying in on the 11th, maybe we'll all ride in together. We're coming in the early afternoon about 2:30, so I don't think we are doing pre-op stuff until the next day. My wife Candy is also bringing a friend to be banded the same day. So thats at least three for that day.

Roger

HI LeaAnne, We're also flying in on the 11th, maybe we'll all ride in together. We're coming in the early afternoon about 2:30, so I don't think we are doing pre-op stuff until the next day. My wife Candy is also bringing a friend to be banded the same day. So thats at least three for that day.

Roger

Hi Roger :)

My plane gets in around 1230... I can pm you w/ my full name and you can ask for my room # at the desk so we can get together. I will have a companion w/ me also.

Counting the days!

Lea Anne

Hello Everybody!

I am scheduled for my lap band procedure on Jan 11th. I am very nervous about going to a foreign country alone and having a surgical procedure. I live in NJ so if there is anyone out there who knows of any filling places in NJ please speak up. Also anyone going for surgery on that date we could meet up. I have spent endless hours on the net researching this procedure and being an er trauma nurse and having also worked many years in the OR I am not sure if it gives me more to worry about. Anyone with any advice feel free to post.

Julie

Hello Everybody!

I am scheduled for my lap band procedure on Jan 11th. I am very nervous about going to a foreign country alone and having a surgical procedure. I live in NJ so if there is anyone out there who knows of any filling places in NJ please speak up. Also anyone going for surgery on that date we could meet up. I have spent endless hours on the net researching this procedure and being an er trauma nurse and having also worked many years in the OR I am not sure if it gives me more to worry about. Anyone with any advice feel free to post.

Julie

Julie, with all you have read here, like me, I was where you are now, just last month. I was so nervous, all I could do was think about going to a foreign country, was I crazy, what the hell am I doing, what would so and so think, I was doing this with my son, which was double worry. It's all so normal for us to think things like that because of the different ways foreign countrys do things. The people you choose to tell will not be educated about ALL the research it took you to make an informed decision. My friends and family questioned my desicison, like I knew they would. But when I told them, we are having the surgery, you would be a help to me to support me right now, since I have made up my mind and have done my research. If I had the surgery in the U.S. I would have been nervous about the Dr. But since it was MX. I was worried because it was in MX. Dr. Ortiz's reputation and experience with the lapband was the reason we had the surgery there. Also, the people on the forum here, and what I read from thier experience, were very instrumental in the choice as well. We were alone as well. The nurses, and staff are very kind and weather or not they truly care, they treat you like they care, almost like your family. I know it sounds 1950's, but I think they take pride in being the best, and they know they are and want to keep it that way. As far as you being alone, someone is with you always, except for when you are at the hotel, and the hotel secruity is AAA++++. Best of Luck to you. Teri

Julie and Roger...

It looks like I won't be coming to Mexico at the same time as you after all. The person that said he would finance the surgery for me (personal loan) has now put his own conditions on the loan. My surgery is scheduled in 3 weeks and tonight he tells me that I am not a good risk for the loan. He's already paid the deposit, bought the airline tickets, and even paid for my passport to be expidited... He said if I reschedule my surgery for 6 months away.... and lose 60lbs in that 6 months, then he will lend me the money. The money is not the problem.... he has it. He just doesn't believe that I need this tool to lose the weight. His point of view is that I am just not committed and I just won't do it. I tried to tell him that if I could lose that kind of weight on my own, I wouldn't need the damn band... EXACTLY HIS POINT! So either way.... if I prove to him I can't do it, he won't loan me the money... if I prove to him I can do it... then he'll have another reason not to lend it to me! Sorry to lay all this on ya'll... I'm just so disappointed, and afraid... I thought I was on the road to becoming healthy... and now it looks like I'm stuck on the road of frustrating dieting.

I have a job interview coming up. This job offers benefits and pays well, so I'm hoping that I might have some kind of luck with insurance paying in the States. Anyhow... I had said I would like to meet you both while down there and so I wanted to let you know that I won't be down there.

good luck to you both... I look forward to reading your posts about how successful your weight loss is!

Lea Anne

Hi,

I am scheduled for surgery on Friday, January 19th. I am flying in to San Diego airport sometime on the 18th. I am pretty nervous because I don't know how I am going to do the liquid protein diet the week prior to my surgery.

I am VERY worried about the post-op diet since I can't imagine not "eating" for 3+ weeks :unsure: . Other people that have the Lap-Band have told me that I won't be hungry, but they also said that "I won't believe it...until I actually do the surgery." So, I guess I will just have to wait & see.

Anyway, good luck to all those people out there that have done the surgery, are thinking about doing the surgery, and are scheduled for surgery.

If anyone is interested in chatting, just send me an email.

Bye for now,

LVChick (I live in Las Vegas, Nevada :-h)

moving post up :) c'mon January patients - I KNOW you are out there :-h

Hi, I'm scheduled for Jan 3rd, flying in on Jan 2nd. My 18 year old daughter is coming with me. I'm curious about what she will do when I spend the night at the hospital. Will there be someone from the clinic who will drive her to the hotel and back to the hospital the next day. Any suggestions on things for her to do. thanks so much, Julie

Hi Julie!

What a great New Years gift you are giving yourself! ><'

Find out who else is going to have surgery at the same time as you and see if they are bringing spouse and family. I would definately check with the clinic and see what they are willing to do for you for transportation with your daughter.

When I had surgery in July, my best friend came with me. She ironically had LapBand surgery in the US in Nov 2005 and she has lost 80 pounds. She's looks amazing. She came to my preops with me and then we went back to the Lucerna together. The next morning The clinic picked both of us up and while I recovered, she hung out at the clinic. The surgery doesn't take long I believe.

They took her back to the Hotel and back to the hospital in the AM when I was discharged. It's very comfortable AND if you have a laptop....bring it because they have WI-FI. It was really nice. I believe the hotel has free WI-FI too. If your daughter likes that...it's a great was to burn time.

Since my preops were the day before surgery, when we got back to the hotel that afternoon, we took a taxi to Revolution Street and did some great people watching. Very fun. I would have gone alone, but I'm 40 and a firecracker. I wouldn't send my 15 year old son there alone just because he doesn't have the street smarts. B)

Hope that helps. ><'

Michele

Hi, I'm scheduled for Jan 3rd, flying in on Jan 2nd. My 18 year old daughter is coming with me. I'm curious about what she will do when I spend the night at the hospital. Will there be someone from the clinic who will drive her to the hotel and back to the hospital the next day. Any suggestions on things for her to do. thanks so much, Julie

my name is debi and im having my lapband done on friday the 5th, i will be doing my preops on thursday, the 4th, my husband is coming if he can get the time off, but if not a good friend of mine will be there with me.

im very excited to get this done and i have only heard positve thingsa about the clinic.

Were all on our way to a new year and a new outlook.

see all you fellow jan 5th peeps there.

DEBI

Hi,

I am scheduled for surgery on Friday, January 19th. I am flying in to San Diego airport sometime on the 18th. I am pretty nervous because I don't know how I am going to do the liquid protein diet the week prior to my surgery.

I am VERY worried about the post-op diet since I can't imagine not "eating" for 3+ weeks :unsure: . Other people that have the Lap-Band have told me that I won't be hungry, but they also said that "I won't believe it...until I actually do the surgery." So, I guess I will just have to wait & see.

Anyway, good luck to all those people out there that have done the surgery, are thinking about doing the surgery, and are scheduled for surgery.

If anyone is interested in chatting, just send me an email.

Bye for now,

LVChick (I live in Las Vegas, Nevada :-h)

Hello LV Chick

I am also having my surgery on Friday Jan. 19th. Hope to meet you at the hotel. Anyone else on Jan. 19th?

Diane