Marriott or Lucerna?

Hello everyone! I'm scheduled for surgery on 09/18/09 & am SOOOO excited!

I've done some research online regarding the two hotels that we have the option of staying at. I've read good reviews for both locations, but wanted to see everyone's opinion on this board, since my stay will likely be similar to yours. Which did you choose, and why? My sister is coming with me and I want to make sure that she feels comfortable & has the amenities she needs while I'm at the clinic.

Any help that anyone can extend is greatly appreciated! I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better as my journey progresses!

All the best,

Charelle

i had a very comfortable stay at the Marriott, and I'm a bit of a hotel snob ....

pros//

- very new and updated.

- we got a room with 2 dbl beds, which was super nice for the day after surgery. Sleep in your own cozy bed!

- staff is very nice.

- overlooks a nice golf course, which my boyfriend took full advantage of and was treated like a King by the manager on duty ..

- room is quiet, and you can request the location - i wanted one over looking the golf course, so i got it :)

cons//

- shitty room service. took almost an hour to get orders.

- communication - or lack there thereof. They don't speak english well, so requesting broth was a game. You never knew if they understood what you were requesting.

- busy. the computer room was always very busy - conventions were being held in the hotel during our stay, which is apparently very - common.

- everyone from the OCC is at the Lucerna - or it felt like that during my stay.

When my husband and I went for my surgery we stayed at the marriott it was very nice the beds were awesome and the pillows the bomb! But were board out of our minds! when I went for my fill my mother in law and i stayed at the lucerna and they were great espcecially one of the bell boys, can't remember his name but got us in a cab to shopping and back, gave us his card and took great care of us. would stay there again if we went back! not to mention at the lucerna you don't have to stay the night at the surgery center you can go back to the hotel with your family. the marriott you have to stay at the center without your family! good luck, enjoy your trip and your new life!

THANK YOU for the responses so far! I'm still undecided, but more anxious about which would be more awesome!

When my husband and I went for my surgery we stayed at the marriott it was very nice the beds were awesome and the pillows the bomb! But were board out of our minds! when I went for my fill my mother in law and i stayed at the lucerna and they were great espcecially one of the bell boys, can't remember his name but got us in a cab to shopping and back, gave us his card and took great care of us. would stay there again if we went back! not to mention at the lucerna you don't have to stay the night at the surgery center you can go back to the hotel with your family. the marriott you have to stay at the center without your family! good luck, enjoy your trip and your new life!

Vicki, that is interesting that you can go back to Lucerna after surgery, but not Marriott. That's definitely something to take in to consideration!

the marriott you have to stay at the center without your family! good luck, enjoy your trip and your new life!

That is not true.

I went back to the Marriott, only a few hours after i had surgery ... so i'm not sure where that statement applies.

Hmmmm.... from the pictures & people's comments, it looks as though the beds look/sound more comfortable at Marriott vs. Lucerna.

LUCERNA

+ Can stay back in room sooner

+ Closer to clinic?

+ Nice, helpful staff

MARRIOTT

+ super comfy beds

+ familiar "brand"

+ quiet

Lindsay mentioned ordering the broth at the hotel. (Thanks, Lindsay!) Anyone have issues with ordering anything at Lucerna?

Hmmmm.... from the pictures & people's comments, it looks as though the beds look/sound more comfortable at Marriott vs. Lucerna.

LUCERNA

+ Can stay back in room sooner

+ Closer to clinic?

+ Nice, helpful staff

MARRIOTT

+ super comfy beds

+ familiar "brand"

+ quiet

Lindsay mentioned ordering the broth at the hotel. (Thanks, Lindsay!) Anyone have issues with ordering anything at Lucerna?

I stayed at the Marriott. It was nice but I felt like it was too far from everything. I didn't have any desire to come back to the hotel on day of surgery because I would want to make sure that I was under the care of the OCC after surgery in case of complications. Plus it was a very comfortable room at the OCC and I was there alone. Everyone who stays at the Lucerna seems to like it very much and that will be my choice next time I have the need to go to the OCC.

Red

Hi I stood at both, it all depends on what you want.

I First stood at the Marriott cause of their reputation and new I’d be safe. I also was meeting another poster so since we were getting band on the same day & both of us were traveling solo we met & stood @ the Marriott

However when I went back for my fill by myself I wanted to stay close to the clinic & I would be taxiing to other doctors for Consultations on plastic surgery,so I stood @ the Lucerna & was very happy there to! I think the Marriott was more business type where LUCERNA wasn’t, I do think I would go back to the Lucerna again instead of the Marriott.

For the record I’m a very fussy person - VERY fussy

Well I didn't stay at Occ because I didnt want my friend to stay alone. I was feeling so good...But if I was to do it again I would stay at OCC overnight. I was in serious pain when everyone arrived back the next morning and they were not. Its the only thing I would do different. We stayed at lucerna and it was great. Ordered up soup which was good and popcycles right arcross the street ( dont worry you have to play frogger ). Its all a journey. I think either hotel would be nice...

Oh my goodness! I feel so loved!!! Thanks to everyone for the responses!! I guess I have a lot of thinking to do!

One last bonus about the Marrott. Making sure you tell them you are from OCC when you order and the clear liquids

and everything else you can have is Free. Also who ever is with you gets 10% off there food also.

By the way I loved Marrott .

Who ever you choose you will be happy .

Hi I stood at both, it all depends on what you want.

I First stood at the Marriott cause of their reputation and new I’d be safe. I also was meeting another poster so since we were getting band on the same day & both of us were traveling solo we met & stood @ the Marriott

However when I went back for my fill by myself I wanted to stay close to the clinic & I would be taxiing to other doctors for Consultations on plastic surgery,so I stood @ the Lucerna & was very happy there to! I think the Marriott was more business type where LUCERNA wasn’t, I do think I would go back to the Lucerna again instead of the Marriott.

For the record I’m a very fussy person - VERY fussy

you stood or you stayed? I am confused

you stood or you stayed? I am confused

Personally, I STAYED at the Lucerna because it was included in the cost I payed to the OCC. I do not have one complaint. The service was wonderful, the beds were comfortable and nearly all of the people having surgery that day were there as well. Two of whom are never on the boards anymore, but I still email back and forth. Never a wait for the internet and one of the servers in the restaurant has been banded by Dr. O as well, so he was like a hovering mother hen to us all.

good luck!

That is not true.

I went back to the Marriott, only a few hours after i had surgery ... so i'm not sure where that statement applies.

It may have changed, since i had my band in march, there were 3 of us at the marriott and we were the only ones that had to stay in the center the night of surgery. Cool!

I don;t understand why anyone would leave OCC instead of sleeping there for the night! If I could have stayed there my whole stay I would have or at lest for a second night

I went back to the hotel the same day as my surgery. I wanted my own space and the bed was much more comfortable at the hotel. If I had to do it all over again I would want peace and quite again.

Guess we are all different.

xox

I stayed twice at the Lucerna, the first time was when my son had his surgery, I loved the location, I could walk to the clinic or the mall and felt safe. My son had planned on staying at the clinic, but they wouldn't let him control his own air conditioning and decided to come back to the hotel.

The second time was when I had my surgery and I went back 2 hrs. after surgery and layed by the pool and slept. I decided in advance that I

would go back to the hotel and paid less for the semi private room. I loved the service at the Lucerna, but I have never stayed at the Marriott.

I don't think you can go wrong with either hotel.

Stayed at the Lucerna twice and both times we were pleased and we are particular. Everyone there was very accommodating, the computers were easily accessible and the food in the restaurant was excellent. I was not able to eat other than the creamed spinach soup which was awesome. The food and the cappuccinos were excellent as my husband and some friends enjoyed!

There is also an excellent taco stand just down the street on the same side as the Lucerna. The broth there is delicious served with chopped cilantro. They know the stand at th e front desk...no crossing the street just around the corner....go out and turn right then right again. Close ...convenient....and nice.

Actually I will be at tthe OCC tomorrow for a fill.

All the best with your surgery and stay. The OCC is exceptional.

Labella

We stayed at the Lucerna both times we went to OCC. Could not have had a more comfortable stay. Alonzo is amazing (he remembered us from our first stay there) and is super nice. He called cabs for us and directed us wherever we wanted to go. He did everything but walk with me to the Farmacia for pain medication for my daughter. Good luck, whatever you decide!

Hi, I am typing this reply from my room in the Lucerna - everything is great with the exception of the beds...I got no sleep whatsoever last night because my bed is about as comfy as a concrete slab!!!! Seriously, if I could, I would sleep on the lounge chair by the pool! It is really a shame because it is a great hotel, everyone is super nice and the courtyard is just beautiful.

It is a safe area and nice to walk around. We twice ate at the Cantina a couple of blocks away (a big bright yellow building on the same side as the hotel, cannot miss it) - it was hands down the best food I have ever eaten!!! And they are so nice there - we had a mariachi band playing for us tonight.

Tomorrow is the big day...yikes!

Good luck whichever you decide on, I am sure you cannot go wrong. :rolleyes:

Hello everyone! I'm scheduled for surgery on 09/18/09 & am SOOOO excited!

I've done some research online regarding the two hotels that we have the option of staying at. I've read good reviews for both locations, but wanted to see everyone's opinion on this board, since my stay will likely be similar to yours. Which did you choose, and why? My sister is coming with me and I want to make sure that she feels comfortable & has the amenities she needs while I'm at the clinic.

Any help that anyone can extend is greatly appreciated! I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better as my journey progresses!

All the best,

Charelle

I was just down there in TJ,, I stayed at the Real Del Rio, it's two blocks North of the Lucerna. I was in TJ for some plastic surgery stuff and dental work at the OCC. But,, the OCC has the Marriott as they're primary hotel now. The OCC is a big player when it comes to quality hotels. They're not going to place a band patient in any crappy hotel. No, no, They make sure the hotel is a quality place to stay. I stayed at the Del Rio because I was paying my own way and I'm cheap. The Del Rio has a $54, tax included, per night rate. The place was just remodeled and the rooms were really nice. I'd highly recommend the place if your in TJ and going to get a fill or doing any other medical stuff. It's within walking distance of the OCC, The Calimex food store and Cosmed is 3 blocks away too. Last time I was at the OCC I stayed at the Lucerna,, I think the rate was around $85. I've never stayed at the Marriott, I walked over to the place to check it out, it looked real nice too. I haven't heard any complaints about either place. But, it's a good 2 miles South of the Lucerna Hotel and Del Rio. I know that the Marriott shuttles patients back and forth to the OCC because its a long way to the OCC from the Marriott. I walked it for the exercise one morning last week, it was a long way. I just know if your getting banded, the hotel comes with the packaged price of being banded. But, if your down there for your own medical needs and paying your own way,, The Real Del Rio is my choice from now on.

I was just down there in TJ,, I stayed at the Real Del Rio, it's two blocks North of the Lucerna. I was in TJ for some plastic surgery stuff and dental work at the OCC. But,, the OCC has the Marriott as they're primary hotel now. The OCC is a big player when it comes to quality hotels. They're not going to place a band patient in any crappy hotel. No, no, They make sure the hotel is a quality place to stay. I stayed at the Del Rio because I was paying my own way and I'm cheap. The Del Rio has a $54, tax included, per night rate. The place was just remodeled and the rooms were really nice. I'd highly recommend the place if your in TJ and going to get a fill or doing any other medical stuff. It's within walking distance of the OCC, The Calimex food store and Cosmed is 3 blocks away too. Last time I was at the OCC I stayed at the Lucerna,, I think the rate was around $85. I've never stayed at the Marriott, I walked over to the place to check it out, it looked real nice too. I haven't heard any complaints about either place. But, it's a good 2 miles South of the Lucerna Hotel and Del Rio. I know that the Marriott shuttles patients back and forth to the OCC because its a long way to the OCC from the Marriott. I walked it for the exercise one morning last week, it was a long way. I just know if your getting banded, the hotel comes with the packaged price of being banded. But, if your down there for your own medical needs and paying your own way,, The Real Del Rio is my choice from now on.

Hey Dolittle, So happy to hear your visit too the Real Del Rio was a positive one. They are by far the Best hotel. They are private and very personal. The food is Great and the drinks in the Bar are so good too!! Have you ever had a Watermelon Martini OMG they are so good and the hotel makes some Bomb ones. The staff is also so very nice there and it is very secure. The hotel is completly remodeled and brand new, the Beds are like a cloud and the sheets are all 500 threads.

If anyone is in need of a hotel room, I will be more then happy to hook them up at my price $54.00 and and they get a radio, coffee maker and a Fridge if staying in town for a few days. I can and will make the reservation and they don't even need a C/C. Here is the website for them www.realdelrio.com I can be reached at bajabeautycoach@yahoo.com Vicki

Hey Dolittle, So happy to hear your visit too the Real Del Rio was a positive one. They are by far the Best hotel. They are private and very personal. The food is Great and the drinks in the Bar are so good too!! Have you ever had a Watermelon Martini OMG they are so good and the hotel makes some Bomb ones. The staff is also so very nice there and it is very secure. The hotel is completly remodeled and brand new, the Beds are like a cloud and the sheets are all 500 threads.

If anyone is in need of a hotel room, I will be more then happy to hook them up at my price $54.00 and and they get a radio, coffee maker and a Fridge if staying in town for a few days. I can and will make the reservation and they don't even need a C/C. Here is the website for them www.realdelrio.com I can be reached at bajabeautycoach@yahoo.com Vicki