has anyone actually claimed the lap band on their taxes

i just want to make sure that someone was actually able to claim the procedure on their taxes at some point. I wasnt able to claim mine this year because i got the procedure in december but im hoping im able to claim them next year with the fill cost and travel and all the expenses add up. has anyone ACTUALLY claimed them before?

I didn't claim it on my taxes, but I did pay for the surgery and will pay for fills on my Flex Spending Account (pre-tax) through my and my husband's work. I just emailed a CPA friend from college about claiming my airfare and she's going to do some research and get back to me because it's not very clear. I'll let you know when I hear something if you want.

I claimed it on my 2008 taxes. I paid $17,500 for my surgery and it got me an extra $4,000 or so back. If you had your surgery in Dec. 2009 you should be able to claim it on your 2009 taxes. It isn't based on when you paid for it but rather when you incurred the expense, because I am still paying for mine. Please note that you can only claim medical costs in excess of 7.5% of your salary.

Also, make sure you check out the laws for yourself or speak to your accountant about it, I am in no way a tax advisor.

I claimed it as well along with the fills I had that year. That was the first year I was a homeowner so between those two I got an amazing refund that year!! Made this year's look pretty sad even though it was still 4k.

Definitely when you get your taxes done keep all your documentation and take it with you. The amount has to equal a certain percentage of your annual income (7% is in my head, but not sure if that is right) but it is possible and helped me a lot!!

Yep! I claimed mine on my 2008 taxes! I claimed the procedre, fills, travel, etc... Be sure to keep all documentation. It made a big difference for me.

I claimed the surgery, but was told that I couldn't claim the travel or fills, I dont know why. I definitely made a big difference in my taxes.

Yep was in the US you can for sure claim it!!!

Just so you know it it is deductible only in the year you pay for it. If you paid with a credit card in 2009 it is deducible in 2009 but if you make payments (only the amount paid in that yr are deducible) you can continue to deduct in the yrs that you continue to pay for it. Hope this makes sense but I have alot of people come in and tell me the have $1200 i medical but only have paid $800 still owe $400 then only the $800 is deductible for that yr. If you paid with other source like Credit card and Dr was paid it is all deductible. Hope that helps...

i just want to make sure that someone was actually able to claim the procedure on their taxes at some point. I wasnt able to claim mine this year because i got the procedure in december but im hoping im able to claim them next year with the fill cost and travel and all the expenses add up. has anyone ACTUALLY claimed them before?

I claimed everything on my taxes,, and I mean everything, Surgery, travel, hotels, car mileage, parking and highway tolls. Don't forget to count all of your other medical expenses that you have during the whole year, like dental, chiro and drug prescriptions. It all adds up.

Remember, you have to exceed 7.5% of your gross income inorder to write it off.

Those patients that have their surgery at the beginning of the year have a bigger advantage when it comes to writing stuff off. Because adding those fill trips along with the band surgery really helps.

Me too, I claimed it all. This year I will only get to claim the fills I think or ya and mileage to the fill appointments. Last year we got $6,000 back. I am afraid this year we are going to owe, has me completely freaked out about filing. But I better get on it cause time it running out. I say claim it all!!! You pay for it, so why not. My friend had a fit that I did that, he called it elective surgery. I told him to go bite himself. He was just mad we got money back. Poo on him!

Me too, I claimed it all. This year I will only get to claim the fills I think or ya and mileage to the fill appointments. Last year we got $6,000 back. I am afraid this year we are going to owe, has me completely freaked out about filing. But I better get on it cause time it running out. I say claim it all!!! You pay for it, so why not. My friend had a fit that I did that, he called it elective surgery. I told him to go bite himself. He was just mad we got money back. Poo on him!

To make sure your legal with the IRS, I've been told by Lori,, all you need is a surgery receipt. The OCC should provide that before you leave the clinic.

• Like 1

thank you all for all this useful information. i wasn't able to claim it this year but my tax guy said i might be able to claim it next year. i also have some dental procedures i need to add so it should add up to the 7%. thanx... i also need to ask for a receipt. i didnt know about those. thanx everyone <3