Emergency Travel Warning...HELP anyone online now?

I just got an email from ASCTijuana@state.gov about the Security Situation in TJ today .. It said recent violent attacks to US citizens and kidnapped guests from reputable hotels YIKES..... I am scared to death after reading it an am worried to cross the border today... Has anyone else received this Security Alert? Any Ideas ?

Thanks,

I just went onto the U.S. Dept. of State website and this is what it says about people getting taken out of hotels:

"In recent months, DTOs have used stolen trucks to block major highways and thus prevent the military from responding to criminal activity, most notably in the area around Monterrey. Also in Monterrey, DTOs have kidnapped guests out of reputable hotels in the downtown area, blocking off adjoining streets to prevent law enforcement response. DTOs have also attacked Mexican government facilities such as military barracks and a customs and immigration post."

While the article does warn people about traveling to Tijuana, they are most concerned about the areas of Chihuahua, specifically Ciudad Juarez, Reynosa, Tamaulipas, Durango and Gomez Palacio, and the area known as “La Laguna” in the state of Coahuila. Here is a link to the complete article:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_4755.html

Mainly, what I gather from the article is to stay in well-populated areas, to leave jewelry and valuables at home, and to stay alert. My husband and I are leaving for OCC tomorrow, so we plan to stay at the hotel and if we venture out, we plan to stay in well-populated areas. We should all be fine!

I just went onto the U.S. Dept. of State website and this is what it says about people getting taken out of hotels:

"In recent months, DTOs have used stolen trucks to block major highways and thus prevent the military from responding to criminal activity, most notably in the area around Monterrey. Also in Monterrey, DTOs have kidnapped guests out of reputable hotels in the downtown area, blocking off adjoining streets to prevent law enforcement response. DTOs have also attacked Mexican government facilities such as military barracks and a customs and immigration post."

While the article does warn people about traveling to Tijuana, they are most concerned about the areas of Chihuahua, specifically Ciudad Juarez, Reynosa, Tamaulipas, Durango and Gomez Palacio, and the area known as “La Laguna” in the state of Coahuila. Here is a link to the complete article:

Mainly, what I gather from the article is to stay in well-populated areas, to leave jewelry and valuables at home, and to stay alert. My husband and I are leaving for OCC tomorrow, so we plan to stay at the hotel and if we venture out, we plan to stay in well-populated areas. We should all be fine!

Dear Sassyredhd74 and canuk98828, bandiva, RevyD,

Thank you so so much for your concerns and replies. I really appreciate your quick replies and support. I wanted to update you: I called OCC this morning and they reassured me that the area of concern was away from here and that all precautions were being taken. I arrived safely - a new driver Joel picked me up and got me to OCC with no incident. I had my first fill with Dr. Hector Acosta who is handsome, charming and spent a long time reassuring me. Even though I had lost 8 pounds in the last 6 weeks, he spent a quite a bit of time discussing how to make this process more successful by making better quality food choices (do protein first, less carbs my downfall).

Thank you all for taking the time to write back. It means a lot to me that this forum is here, even when we are scared.

Sherri,

Glad to hear all went well! I'm looking forward to a successful trip since I'm getting banded on Monday. :)

Sassy,

How did the surgery go? I hope all is well at the Marriott... Hang in there with those liquids... 21 days will go by fast and in no time you will be eating solid food again.

you are sooo welcome. I am new to this but can't tell anyone/everyone what a fabulous support team this is. AWESOME individuals on a huge journey of their own, sharing insights, laughter and nerves. How can we not win?