I'm on the BANDwagon!

Hi!

I've been lurking for a little while, and I enjoy and learn alot from you all! I was banded on Friday, March 16, 2007, so today is my 4th post-op day.

I have struggled with my weight my whole life (I'm 47 years old). Lots of yo-yoing. I finally decided that looking better would be a nice "fringe benefit", but my true goal is to be healthy so I can enjoy the rest of my life doing the things that I love. I have been very fortunate to not have a lot of co-morbidities. My biggest complaints are arthritic knees (I literally can hear them when I go down stairs in the morning), hip joints and low back aches, and some mild reflux. All of these should improve dramatically as I drop the pounds. I am incredibly fortunate to have a very supportive husband and 16-year-old son here at home. I opted to tell only a very few people about my banding, at this point. I just didn't want to feel the added pressure. I will likely be more open a bit further down the road as my band and I become more comfortable with one another.

Today is the first day that I feel pretty darned good. The second night was the worst.....lots of "gas pain" from the CO2 (which, I must say, is really the only significant pain that I've had). The incisions have been of only minimal discomfort. I've noticed that it seems that most of you had your banding done in Mexico. I did not (so I sure hope that's not a pre-requisite to joining the group!). Mine was done in Kansas. I do have a "Center of Excellence" physician, and I think he's pretty great. I did quite a bit of research before deciding to do the LabBand, and, as I said earlier, being able to lurk and learn here has been most beneficial.

I have noticed that your liquid diet phase is quite a bit different than mine. I did 2 days of clear liquids pre-op. My first 3 post-op days have also been clear liquids. Today, however, I was instructed to begin full liquids......gently.......in addition to the clear. And, this coming weekend, I can begin soft solids, as tolerated (cottage cheese, string cheese, refried beans, etc.). Thus far, I really haven't been able to do more than 2-3 oz. of anything in one sitting. And, honestly, I haven't really wanted any more than that.

Anyway, I'm happy to be here. I'm happy to have my band in, and I'm raring to go. Thanks again for all the info, and thanks in advance, for your support!

Kelly

Highest weight: 275 lbs.

Weight 2 weeks prior to surgery: 261 lbs.

Weight day of surgery: 255 lbs.

Weight today (3/20): 246.5 lbs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hang in there! It does get better once you can start eating softer foods. Don't be to concerned with what the scale reads at this point. Your body is healing and hanging onto every calorie since you are on this liquid diet.

I'm down 20 pounds from my surgery date of Feb 9th. My first fill is scheduled for April 14th. I am loving my band.

Good luck to you!

Hang in there! It does get better once you can start eating softer foods. Don't be to concerned with what the scale reads at this point. Your body is healing and hanging onto every calorie since you are on this liquid diet.

I'm down 20 pounds from my surgery date of Feb 9th. My first fill is scheduled for April 14th. I am loving my band.

Good luck to you!

Thanks, Pamela!

things have been going really well. I go for my first fill on 4/27. So far, I'm down 17.5 lbs. since surgery on 3/16, and I"m thrilled. It's nice to be back on solids. I can hardly wait for my fill!!!

Take care!

Kelly

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks, Pamela!

things have been going really well. I go for my first fill on 4/27. So far, I'm down 17.5 lbs. since surgery on 3/16, and I"m thrilled. It's nice to be back on solids. I can hardly wait for my fill!!!

Take care!

Kelly

Hello all of you fellow bandsters!

Yesterday April 30 I was banded by the Great Ortiz. It has been the most pleasant experience I have ever had medically. The people were so nice, fun, happy, and helpful. Anything at all we wanted, they got for us. I wasn't nervous at all. I slept well after surgery and was very comfy. We had flat screen tv in our room, a comfy couch for our guest, ect... so neat, so incredibuly clean.

Thanks to every one at the center for being so nice.

Connie Gist

Hello all of you fellow bandsters!

Yesterday April 30 I was banded by the Great Ortiz. It has been the most pleasant experience I have ever had medically. The people were so nice, fun, happy, and helpful. Anything at all we wanted, they got for us. I wasn't nervous at all. I slept well after surgery and was very comfy. We had flat screen tv in our room, a comfy couch for our guest, ect... so neat, so incredibuly clean.

Thanks to every one at the center for being so nice.

Connie Gist

Congrats Connie! That's great about your pleasant experience being banded and the care you received. Could you possibly detail your experience a bit further about the hotel and your guest and so on. You arrived on Sunday, right, since your surgery was scheduled for a Monday? Mine is the same. I arrive with my mom on Sunday May 20th, and pre-op tests and surgery on the 21st. What time did you arrive on Sunday and how did things go from there? Sorry about all the questions, but I want my experience to be as wonderful as everyone elses, and I know it will be, but I want to know of some things to expect. I also want to make sure my mom isn't alone much.

Hope you have an easy and speedy recovery!

Judy

Congrats Connie! That's great about your pleasant experience being banded and the care you received. Could you possibly detail your experience a bit further about the hotel and your guest and so on. You arrived on Sunday, right, since your surgery was scheduled for a Monday? Mine is the same. I arrive with my mom on Sunday May 20th, and pre-op tests and surgery on the 21st. What time did you arrive on Sunday and how did things go from there? Sorry about all the questions, but I want my experience to be as wonderful as everyone elses, and I know it will be, but I want to know of some things to expect. I also want to make sure my mom isn't alone much.

Judy

I thought I would jump in and share my experience. I was just banded on April 26th by the same Dr as Connie. My sister and I arrived at the airport on Thursday at 11 am. There were 4 other girls that arrived around the same time. I would try to pack as light as possible. The driver was there with a sign with my name on it. We walked to the van. They drive a little crazy but I am use to that from growing up in CA :). We were taken straight to the clinic were we started pre-op. You will fill out a few forms in the waiting room. There is nicy comfy places to sit but this can take a while so I would suggest bringing something to do while you wait. You will have your blood taken and you will have your ekg done, dental exam and then you will talk to Dr. Miranda. YOu will have your blood takesn ( I Had my IV put in at this time) She will weigh you and go over your diet for the next 3 weeks. After all this was done for me they had an opening and I decided to do the surgery the same day. Everyone else went back to the hotel. I will tell you about my surgery and then the hotel. They took me back to my private room which had a flat screen tv and two chairs. Most rooms had a comfy couch in them. I changed into the hospital gown and some wonderful (LOL) paper underware which was like wearing a thong! The nurse will them put your white stockings on to help your blood circulate during surgery. Everyone is very nice. Everyone came into my room to introduce themselves. You will walk into the surgery room and be taken back to your room where your mom will have waited for you. My sister was on the phone with my mom and the Dr. got on the phone with her and put her to ease. I slept a lot and had something to drink and the nurses came to check on me. The only complaint I had was when I woke up in the middle of the night my IV bag was empty and blood was going up the tube. I called the nurse who came and took my iv out. I was released at aprox 10 am the next morning and they took me to the hotel and I went to my room where my sister was. The restraunts were nice and so was the room. My sister and I took a taxi (the front desk got us on) and we went to shop! make sure you bargain for your prices. We were gone for about 3 hours and came back. I ordered chicken broth for lunch and then we went back to our room. The grounds are really beautiful. We walked around for a bit and I was bushed so we came back and i went to bed.

Everything was really nice and I felt really safe. Your mom will only be alone when she leaves you in the clinic overnight until you get to the hotel the next morning.

If you have any more questions please email me at childrensgarden2@aol.com.

I lost 22 pounds pre-op and am down 10 pounds since surgery........a total of 32 pounds

I thought I would jump in and share my experience. I was just banded on April 26th by the same Dr as Connie. My sister and I arrived at the airport on Thursday at 11 am. There were 4 other girls that arrived around the same time. I would try to pack as light as possible. The driver was there with a sign with my name on it. We walked to the van. They drive a little crazy but I am use to that from growing up in CA :). We were taken straight to the clinic were we started pre-op. You will fill out a few forms in the waiting room. There is nicy comfy places to sit but this can take a while so I would suggest bringing something to do while you wait. You will have your blood taken and you will have your ekg done, dental exam and then you will talk to Dr. Miranda. YOu will have your blood takesn ( I Had my IV put in at this time) She will weigh you and go over your diet for the next 3 weeks. After all this was done for me they had an opening and I decided to do the surgery the same day. Everyone else went back to the hotel. I will tell you about my surgery and then the hotel. They took me back to my private room which had a flat screen tv and two chairs. Most rooms had a comfy couch in them. I changed into the hospital gown and some wonderful (LOL) paper underware which was like wearing a thong! The nurse will them put your white stockings on to help your blood circulate during surgery. Everyone is very nice. Everyone came into my room to introduce themselves. You will walk into the surgery room and be taken back to your room where your mom will have waited for you. My sister was on the phone with my mom and the Dr. got on the phone with her and put her to ease. I slept a lot and had something to drink and the nurses came to check on me. The only complaint I had was when I woke up in the middle of the night my IV bag was empty and blood was going up the tube. I called the nurse who came and took my iv out. I was released at aprox 10 am the next morning and they took me to the hotel and I went to my room where my sister was. The restraunts were nice and so was the room. My sister and I took a taxi (the front desk got us on) and we went to shop! make sure you bargain for your prices. We were gone for about 3 hours and came back. I ordered chicken broth for lunch and then we went back to our room. The grounds are really beautiful. We walked around for a bit and I was bushed so we came back and i went to bed.

Everything was really nice and I felt really safe. Your mom will only be alone when she leaves you in the clinic overnight until you get to the hotel the next morning.

If you have any more questions please email me at childrensgarden2@aol.com.

I lost 22 pounds pre-op and am down 10 pounds since surgery........a total of 32 pounds

Wow! What a wonderful experience you seemed to have had. Thanks so much for explaining alot to me about what to expect. So, when I go in on Monday morning, will my mom be going with me and then will they take her back to the hotel later when I am in surgery? I am hoping that someone will be with her so she doesn't have to go hungry by not knowing where or what to eat.

Good luck and congrats on your continued weight loss!

Judy

Wow! What a wonderful experience you seemed to have had. Thanks so much for explaining alot to me about what to expect. So, when I go in on Monday morning, will my mom be going with me and then will they take her back to the hotel later when I am in surgery? I am hoping that someone will be with her so she doesn't have to go hungry by not knowing where or what to eat.

Good luck and congrats on your continued weight loss!

Judy

Yes your mom will go with you to the clinic for pre-op and surgery day. There is a restraunt to the right when you come into the hotel. If she goes outside there is an italian ( I think) restraunt. She will be fine. I was worried about my sister also. I also forgot to add walk, walk and walk some more while you are there. I didnt have any problems with Gas but some people do. YOu will also get to meet people who had surgery the same day as you. When you leave going across the border is easy. I only needed my Drivers Lic. They will park outside a door. You walk in and get in line. THey will ask you what your citizenship is and then you show your D.L. YOu will take all bags with you and you will place it on a belt and they will screen it (Just like at the airport) and then Francisco (the driver) will set up a meeting place and you walk across the border to meet him. Very easy.

Shannon

Yes your mom will go with you to the clinic for pre-op and surgery day. There is a restraunt to the right when you come into the hotel. If she goes outside there is an italian ( I think) restraunt. She will be fine. I was worried about my sister also. I also forgot to add walk, walk and walk some more while you are there. I didnt have any problems with Gas but some people do. YOu will also get to meet people who had surgery the same day as you. When you leave going across the border is easy. I only needed my Drivers Lic. They will park outside a door. You walk in and get in line. THey will ask you what your citizenship is and then you show your D.L. YOu will take all bags with you and you will place it on a belt and they will screen it (Just like at the airport) and then Francisco (the driver) will set up a meeting place and you walk across the border to meet him. Very easy.

Shannon

I also meant to tell you your mom will be with you until about 5:30 ish that night of your surgery and they will take her back. They also have room service to order from and all the food is reasonable. YOu can also make free calls from your room at the clinic if you need to call anyone.

Judy

Hi Judy!

Yes, my surgery was on Monday. My sister and I arrived at the airport in San Diego at 10 am on Sunday. Fransico was near the luggage collection area with a paper that had my name on it and Dr. Oriz. He drove us directly to the hotel, we didn't have to stop at the border going in. The hotel was very nice. We checked in, put away our things, and then caught a taxi, which came right up to the hotel door. It cost us $5 to take us to Revolution street downtown where the fun shopping is. They were having an antique car show and harley davidson show down there that day with music and food. It was defenitely a party atmosphere. Fun! We walked around a few hours then caught a taxi ($5) back to the hotel.

We ate at the restaurant at the hotel and then turned in for the night.

The next morning we all met downstairs at 7:30 am and Mrs. Ortiz took the patients to the clinic first then when back for our family members. She was really sweet. We did all the preop stuff that Shannon described while our family waited. Then Dr. Ortiz came and talked to me explaining the procedure. I changed into the cute undies and gown and went to surgery.

My sister waited then after I was out, she talked to me, caught a taxi back to the hotel for a few hours. She came back in the afternoon until 5:30 then she and other family members of patients went back to the hotel together and ate together.

The next morning they didn't come to the clinic, we all were brought back to the hotel by 9 or 10 am.

Don't be nervous. Everyone was super. My sister enjoyed her minivacation!

Good luck!

connie gist

[Thank you Connie! Sounds like alot of fun and not too much stress and boredom for our family members. Did Mrs. Ortiz have a van or a car? Just wondering as to what to expect getting in and out. ;)

I am so looking forward to my minvacation/surgery for sure and I hope my mom has a good time as well instead of thinking she has to take care of me all the time. :)

I forgot to ask about the room service at the hotel. Do you think ordering room service is better or eating at the hotel? Did you have room service? If so, how much was it and how was it? Are there places to go near the center in case my mom wants to smoke? We are both smokers, but of course I can't, but she will definitely need too.

Peace,

Judy

• 2 weeks later...
[Thank you Connie! Sounds like alot of fun and not too much stress and boredom for our family members. Did Mrs. Ortiz have a van or a car? Just wondering as to what to expect getting in and out. ;)

I am so looking forward to my minvacation/surgery for sure and I hope my mom has a good time as well instead of thinking she has to take care of me all the time. :)

I forgot to ask about the room service at the hotel. Do you think ordering room service is better or eating at the hotel? Did you have room service? If so, how much was it and how was it? Are there places to go near the center in case my mom wants to smoke? We are both smokers, but of course I can't, but she will definitely need too.

Peace,

Judy

Hi there! Only a few days until your surgery - Congratulations! I only have 3 more days until I can eat solid food and boy am I excited. I don't want much, just a few bites will be perfect.

We didn't order room service. We ate in the restaurant. Even after surgery, it felt good to walk down and eat (tortilla soup).

The worst pain I had was from the GAS they filled me up with and the walking helped.

Mrs. Ortiz has a car, quite roomy and plush.

Tell your mom to enjoy the trip. The people at the hotel will help you with whatever you need, taxi, info, or whatever. Everyone is so nice.

I have scheduled my fill for June 11 and am looking forward to the return trip.

Good Luck!

• 5 weeks later...
Hi!

I've been lurking for a little while, and I enjoy and learn alot from you all! I was banded on Friday, March 16, 2007, so today is my 4th post-op day.

I have struggled with my weight my whole life (I'm 47 years old). Lots of yo-yoing. I finally decided that looking better would be a nice "fringe benefit", but my true goal is to be healthy so I can enjoy the rest of my life doing the things that I love. I have been very fortunate to not have a lot of co-morbidities. My biggest complaints are arthritic knees (I literally can hear them when I go down stairs in the morning), hip joints and low back aches, and some mild reflux. All of these should improve dramatically as I drop the pounds. I am incredibly fortunate to have a very supportive husband and 16-year-old son here at home. I opted to tell only a very few people about my banding, at this point. I just didn't want to feel the added pressure. I will likely be more open a bit further down the road as my band and I become more comfortable with one another.

Today is the first day that I feel pretty darned good. The second night was the worst.....lots of "gas pain" from the CO2 (which, I must say, is really the only significant pain that I've had). The incisions have been of only minimal discomfort. I've noticed that it seems that most of you had your banding done in Mexico. I did not (so I sure hope that's not a pre-requisite to joining the group!). Mine was done in Kansas. I do have a "Center of Excellence" physician, and I think he's pretty great. I did quite a bit of research before deciding to do the LabBand, and, as I said earlier, being able to lurk and learn here has been most beneficial.

I have noticed that your liquid diet phase is quite a bit different than mine. I did 2 days of clear liquids pre-op. My first 3 post-op days have also been clear liquids. Today, however, I was instructed to begin full liquids......gently.......in addition to the clear. And, this coming weekend, I can begin soft solids, as tolerated (cottage cheese, string cheese, refried beans, etc.). Thus far, I really haven't been able to do more than 2-3 oz. of anything in one sitting. And, honestly, I haven't really wanted any more than that.

Anyway, I'm happy to be here. I'm happy to have my band in, and I'm raring to go. Thanks again for all the info, and thanks in advance, for your support!

Kelly

Highest weight: 275 lbs.

Weight 2 weeks prior to surgery: 261 lbs.

Weight day of surgery: 255 lbs.

Weight today (3/20): 246.5 lbs.

Hello, kellyo! Thanx for sharing your experiences. I am scheduled to be banded 7/2/07. My surgery will be @ 7:30 AM. It will be done in NY, not Mexico. Will I get to go home the same day? Did you spend the night in the hospital? Please let me know if I can expect to be discharged or have to spend the night.