Was anyone afraid or stressed that they would fail any of the tests?

Hey all,

I hope to banded soon, like in the next month or two and one thing keeps making me stress. It's the tests they take on your blood, lungs and heart. I have no problem with any of these, but was wondering if any of you were stressed about the results of these tests?

I keep thinking about passing all the tests and going all that way and then having to turn back because they wouldn't do surgery on me b/c of something found in the tests. I am positive I have nothing wrong in any area of testing, but it's just been bugging me.

What exactly are they looking for other than a good heart and lungs, and what else?

Thanks for any replies in advance. ;)

Peace,

Judy

Hey all,

I hope to banded soon, like in the next month or two and one thing keeps making me stress. It's the tests they take on your blood, lungs and heart. I have no problem with any of these, but was wondering if any of you were stressed about the results of these tests?

I keep thinking about passing all the tests and going all that way and then having to turn back because they wouldn't do surgery on me b/c of something found in the tests. I am positive I have nothing wrong in any area of testing, but it's just been bugging me.

What exactly are they looking for other than a good heart and lungs, and what else?

Peace,

Judy

I have the same fear. I smoke and I am going to stop on Tuesday. I hope I will be able to pass the lung test. I hate to go all the way down there and end up not getting banded because of my smoking habit. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Hey all,

Peace,

Judy

Relax. I had less than ideal tests. My cardiac screen was fine, but my blood tests and lung tests were not the best. My blood sugar was high (due to diabetes), and my electrolytes were way off, due to dehydration (my mouth was so dry when they took my blood, that I was having trouble talking). My lung screen was also not great, due to being a smoker for years.

Well, they re-tested my blood the day of surgery, and all was fine, and I was given a pre-op nebulizer treatment for my lungs. They also tested my blood sugar regularly, and gave me insulin (no oral meds day of surgery).

So, they used the tests to treat me better and safer, not to deny my surgery.

I have the same fear. I smoke and I am going to stop on Tuesday. I hope I will be able to pass the lung test. I hate to go all the way down there and end up not getting banded because of my smoking habit. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

I smoke and I passed the lung test. It was easy. Don't worry too much about the tests, they are a breeze.

Stacy

That is great to hear that if you don't do too well on the tests, they make sure they take care of you to get through the surgery and be ok after.

Thank you! I feel better now and a bit more confident.

Greg, did you quit smoking two weeks before or several days before? I smoke also, but not more than half a pack a day. I could probably handle quitting for about a week before, but two is stretching it. Of course, if absolutely required, I will definitely do it!

Judy

That is great to hear that if you don't do too well on the tests, they make sure they take care of you to get through the surgery and be ok after.

Thank you! I feel better now and a bit more confident.

Greg, did you quit smoking two weeks before or several days before? I smoke also, but not more than half a pack a day. I could probably handle quitting for about a week before, but two is stretching it. Of course, if absolutely required, I will definitely do it!

Judy

Judy,

I did not quit smoking at all. I smoke about a pack a day.

Stacy

Judy,

I did not quit smoking at all. I smoke about a pack a day.

Stacy

I QUIT 4 or 5 DAYS BEFORE SURGERY, I SMOKED MAYBE 1/2 A PACK A DAY FOR 30 YEARS. ONE OF THE REASONS FOR ME HAVING THE SURGERY IS I WANTED TO TRY AND QUIT WITHOUT GAINING WEIGHT AND JUST BE A HEALTHIER ME

I QUIT 4 or 5 DAYS BEFORE SURGERY, I SMOKED MAYBE 1/2 A PACK A DAY FOR 30 YEARS. ONE OF THE REASONS FOR ME HAVING THE SURGERY IS I WANTED TO TRY AND QUIT WITHOUT GAINING WEIGHT AND JUST BE A HEALTHIER ME

That's great Pammie! Do they tell you to quit a certain amount of time before surgery, or is it up to you?

Also, I saw your greats pics on Webshots of when you arrived there and had your surgery. They were great and it looked like everyone was so easy going and you enjoyed your whole experience. Do they let you do that any time or were you just special? LOL

Thanks,

Judy

I haven't scheduled my surgery yet because I am in waiting mode for my 401k money to come in. Should be soon though. I want to schedule for mid to late April. May is out due to work schedule conflict and I don't want to have to wait until June. I had two teeth pulled a few days ago(one on each side), so I kinda got the idea of the pre-op diet. LOL It's been rough. I am so ready to do this.

That would be so great if they would allow me to take pictures while there and through the process.

Thanks Pammie,

Judy

JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY JUDY, DO YOU HAPPEN TO BE IN THE NE PART OF TOWN?

:lol: Thanks you guys, you have really relaxed me about the tests. I was so worried about being a smoker and trying to quit that I was really working myself up. I don't know what I would do without this discussion board.

GiBaby71

YES PAMMIE, I AM IN NE PORTLAND. WHY?

I HAVE FAMILY IN NE PART OF TOWN OR HAD. I HAVE A BROTHER THAT RIDES AT THE HORSIE TRACK, AND MY AUNT WAS A NEW REPORTER FOR KOIN TV, ELAINE MURPHY, BUT JUST QUIT TO GO LIVE ON THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FOR A FEW YEARS. (NOT ALL MY FAMILY IS HEAVY LIKE I AM, I THINK I GOT THE SHORT END OF THE STICK LOL)

I HAVE FAMILY IN NE PART OF TOWN OR HAD. I HAVE A BROTHER THAT RIDES AT THE HORSIE TRACK, AND MY AUNT WAS A NEW REPORTER FOR KOIN TV, ELAINE MURPHY, BUT JUST QUIT TO GO LIVE ON THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FOR A FEW YEARS. (NOT ALL MY FAMILY IS HEAVY LIKE I AM, I THINK I GOT THE SHORT END OF THE STICK LOL)

THAT IS SO COOL! WHAT A SMALL WORLD...LOL I TOTALLY KNOW ELAINE MURPHY FROM CHANNEL 6. I WAS WONDERING WHAT HAPPENED TO HER. SHE WAS SO GOOD ON THE NEWS. I ALWAYS LIKED LISTENING TO HER REPORTS.

YEAH...I AM THE ONLY HEAVY ONE IN MY FAMILY WHICH I AM SURE IT CAME FROM MY DAD'S SIDE. HE ALWAYS STRUGGLED WITH HIS WEIGHT. MY GRANDMOTHER WAS HEAVY TOO. I HAVE BEEN HEAVY ALL MY LIFE.

MAYBE WE CAN BE ON EACH OTHERS FRIENDS LIST OR IF YOU WOULD LIKE, WE COULD KEEP IN TOUCH BY EMAIL?

MY EMAIL ADDY IS happycats2@comcast.net .

THANKS PAMMIE. TAKE CARE.

JUDY

THAT IS SO COOL! WHAT A SMALL WORLD...LOL I TOTALLY KNOW ELAINE MURPHY FROM CHANNEL 6. I WAS WONDERING WHAT HAPPENED TO HER. SHE WAS SO GOOD ON THE NEWS. I ALWAYS LIKED LISTENING TO HER REPORTS.

YEAH...I AM THE ONLY HEAVY ONE IN MY FAMILY WHICH I AM SURE IT CAME FROM MY DAD'S SIDE. HE ALWAYS STRUGGLED WITH HIS WEIGHT. MY GRANDMOTHER WAS HEAVY TOO. I HAVE BEEN HEAVY ALL MY LIFE.

MAYBE WE CAN BE ON EACH OTHERS FRIENDS LIST OR IF YOU WOULD LIKE, WE COULD KEEP IN TOUCH BY EMAIL?

MY EMAIL ADDY IS happycats2@comcast.net .

THANKS PAMMIE. TAKE CARE.

JUDY

WELL MY MOM'S SIDE IS HEAVY SO I THINK I GET IT FROM THAT SIDE.

EMAIL ME ANYTIME Nelsenetc@comcast.net