Pre-op weight loss requirement

Hey all,

My surgery is scheduled for May 21st and I got an email from Dr. Miranda that I need to 18 plus lbs before surgery. I know that is over a month away, but didn't want to have to start now, so I can enjoy some of the foods now, that I will have to avoid after being banded.

I wrote her to find out how and when I need to start losing. I'm thinkin now or really soon.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Judy

Hey all,

My surgery is scheduled for May 21st and I got an email from Dr. Miranda that I need to 18 plus lbs before surgery. I know that is over a month away, but didn't want to have to start now, so I can enjoy some of the foods now, that I will have to avoid after being banded.

I wrote her to find out how and when I need to start losing. I'm thinkin now or really soon.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Judy

You should probably start 3 weeks pre-op. What is more important, however, is that you do not gain any weight before starting-- that will make it that much more difficult. Enjoy the food you want, but start cutting portions now. And remember, even after banding, you can still enjoy most of the foods you enjoy now; just smaller portions.

You should probably start 3 weeks pre-op. What is more important, however, is that you do not gain any weight before starting-- that will make it that much more difficult. Enjoy the food you want, but start cutting portions now. And remember, even after banding, you can still enjoy most of the foods you enjoy now; just smaller portions.

Well, she said about 4 weeks before surgery, so since I am scheduled for 5/21, then I can start next week? I don't plan on gaining any weight before i start, but I do want to enjoy one last chinese food meal, and one more pizza, etc...lol j/k I don't eat much lately...my appetite has slowed in the last couple of months. Probably due to medication or something.

I noticed you lost 21 lbs pre-op. How did you do that Greg? That is awesome! I was told to buy the optifast from the OCC e-store. Yeah, well, if I had and extra $300 lying around, then maybe.

I have read that alot of people do the shakes for breakfast and lunch, and a lean cuisine for dinner? I would starve to death...lol

Thanks for your info and reply. Always appreciated. :)

Judy

Judy,

I had to lose 30 lbs in a month , I made it to 20 and was okay. But the sooner you start the sooner you will have it done and over with. I did 2 slimfast drinks and a lean cuisene for dinner, for 2 weeks then I did 3 slim fast a day for 2 weeks. I am 21/2 weeks post op and I am still drinking and not eating. So far, I have lost 33 lbs. Do I think it is hard to do, oh yes, do I think it was worth it , you bet. I am looking forward to food on the 17th, but I haven't really missed it. Good luck to you.

Judy,

Hi, My name is Kelly and I will be having my surgery 4/26. I started my per-op diet on the 1st of April. I'm doing to 2 protein drinks and the Lean Cuisine. The 1st week was hard. I just drank alot of water when I was hungry it helped. It's not going to be easy if it was we would have ate like this before then we wouldn't need surgery! LOL! I've lost 13 lbs. now. I take the Chromium Picolinte 400 mg. daily. You can do it! =D>

Kelly C.

To be banded 4/26/07

Don't get the impression that you need to enjoy food now in excess because you won't ever be able to eat again. I enjoy a wide variety of foods but the band controls my portion! There isn't anything I avoid completely. I try to make good choices most of the time, but I still have an occassional piece of pizza, or eat out mexican, chinese, japanese - but I try to make better choices and even when I don't - like I said, the band helps to control my portions.

Please don't think you need to eat up now because after surgery its over... that has certainly not been the case with me and my band :)

Make sure you follow the pre-op diet recommendations given by Dr. Miranda - it is about YOUR health and safety during surgery!

I am really struggling with my pre-op diet. I had to go out of town this week for a 3 week conference and it seems everytime I turn around there was food infront of me. My surgery is 1 week away and I haven't lost hardly anything. Any suggestions

Don't get the impression that you need to enjoy food now in excess because you won't ever be able to eat again. I enjoy a wide variety of foods but the band controls my portion! There isn't anything I avoid completely. I try to make good choices most of the time, but I still have an occassional piece of pizza, or eat out mexican, chinese, japanese - but I try to make better choices and even when I don't - like I said, the band helps to control my portions.

Please don't think you need to eat up now because after surgery its over... that has certainly not been the case with me and my band :)

Make sure you follow the pre-op diet recommendations given by Dr. Miranda - it is about YOUR health and safety during surgery!

Thanks Lori! :) I promise I will follow the instructions to a T. I get very strict with myself when I start any diet. I know for a fact that just cutting out all sugars will help me lose pretty good. It has once before, but it took about 2 months to lose 22 lbs. Have to be alot more struct this time.

That's great that that you can still eat other things once in awhile. But, for me, I would be terrified of getting one taste and boom, I overdo it...lol

I look forward to talking with Dr. Miranda tomorrow morning. Could you please have her call me between 10:00 and 10:15am? I will be on break then and can talk. Otherwise, I will be really busy and won't be able to.

Thanks again,

Judy