Have I lost weight too fast?

As most know who have read my posts, I have lost 66lbs since mid april '07 which was my pre-op diet start time. Well, although I feel good and happy about the weight loss and have much more to go, I have noticed and flabby and sometimes flappy skin hanging from my upper arms(bat wings), and butt and upper legs and thighs which are usually covered by clothing. Sometimes when I walk a certain way, my flappy loose thighs slap together...lol That is not often, but it has happened...very disgusting...LOL

I know I have a lot more to lose, but in a short time, I have lost so much and still lose or stay steady(depending on my swelling legs and feet). How do I or even can I tone these areas up when I still suffer joint pain in my knees(seeing the doc tomorrow), and can't wear good shoes(swelling problem)? I have seen after pics of people on tv that have dropped alot of weight and before they have PS and their skin is all wrinkled and shrunken...lol Maybe the flabby skin will go away when I drop more weight? Like shrivvel up and then I can either get PS or tone it now?

Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated. :)

Peace,

Judy

The saggy skin is unfortunately a part of dropping the pounds. We're not balloons after all! There are many factors involved (age, environment, etc) but with exercise and time you may be able to get work it out. What doesn't adjust will probably need to be removed but only you can decide if that's what you want to do.

Well, anytime a person needs to lose 100 pounds or more, there is gonna be extra SKIN. No way to stop that. They say it takes 1 year after losing all your excess weight, for your skin to catch up. It will shrink SOME, but the sad fact is....you're still gonna have a lot left. My cousin has lost 100, and she still has flappy skin, but you can't tell when she's got it tucked into her size 6 jeans! LOL

I'll take the flappy skin over the fully S_T_R_E_T_C_H_E_D out FAT skin anyday! LOL

Donna

As most know who have read my posts, I have lost 66lbs since mid april '07 which was my pre-op diet start time. Well, although I feel good and happy about the weight loss and have much more to go, I have noticed and flabby and sometimes flappy skin hanging from my upper arms(bat wings), and butt and upper legs and thighs which are usually covered by clothing. Sometimes when I walk a certain way, my flappy loose thighs slap together...lol That is not often, but it has happened...very disgusting...LOL

I know I have a lot more to lose, but in a short time, I have lost so much and still lose or stay steady(depending on my swelling legs and feet). How do I or even can I tone these areas up when I still suffer joint pain in my knees(seeing the doc tomorrow), and can't wear good shoes(swelling problem)? I have seen after pics of people on tv that have dropped alot of weight and before they have PS and their skin is all wrinkled and shrunken...lol Maybe the flabby skin will go away when I drop more weight? Like shrivvel up and then I can either get PS or tone it now?

Peace,

Judy

Hi Judy!

Yeah, there will be a bit of saggy skin - it is just a fact of life. But I would take the saggy skin and having normal blood pressure, no more apnea machine and normal blood colesterol over fat and no flabby skin!

I too have issues with my joints. My knees and ankles are really bad. I have found that doing water aerobics is a wonderful way to exercise!! You should look at your local health club or YMCA to see if they are offered! It has really helped the saggy skin on my upper arms and upper thighs!

Good luck and congratulations on the weight loss!! You are doing great!

I've only lost 30 pounds and already have the saggy tummy. I think you either have skin that bounces back easier, or you don't. I have two friends who went through GBP - both lost over 100 pounds. One doesn't have an INCH of extra skin, the other is saggy like crazy. It's like some women, whom I hate, don't get stretchmarks during pregnancy whereas others, like me, look like freaking roadmaps!!

Peace,

Judy

Wow, you are my HERO! Congrats on your weightloss!

(I don't have any advice on the skin, my journey is just beginning, but just wanted to say "WOW" at your awesomely rapid weightloss!)

=D> =D> =D>

Wow, you are my HERO! Congrats on your weightloss!

(I don't have any advice on the skin, my journey is just beginning, but just wanted to say "WOW" at your awesomely rapid weightloss!)

=D> =D> =D>

Awww...thank you so much for saying that. I have more to lose and maybe that is why I have lost so much in a short time. That is what I have read anyways. I guess I will deal better with the saggy skin part later on, but for now it is hiding well under my clothes. LOL

You are doing very well so far and congrats on that too! You will get there and enjoy the journey. :))

Peace,

Judy

• 5 weeks later...

I have lost 89 pounds over the last year and 124 Total since January of 2006. I have walked, jogged, bicycled, kayaked, rock climbed and lifted weights. My point is I have focussed on toning up and tried not to lose muscle mass.

I am still going to need to have loose skin removed. This is an effect of my years of having this skin stretched out however some of it has receded a bit although not enough to avoid surgery. You have had amazing success! and I applaud you! I just want you to know that loose skin is a reality for some of us no matter how fast OR slow we lose the weight. There should be no shame or second guessing. It just is what it is, I am looking into having this stuff removed so that I can move on to fix my next problem whatever it may be. Hopefully it will be my lawnmower or painting my deck and not something having to do with me or my body! LOL

A note on the swelling, this has helped me maybe it will help you. I have used Black cherry extract tablets and black cherry juice from concentrate, that I picked up at a local health food store. Walmart carries a black cherry/ cranberry drink as well.

Keep up the Good and Great work you are doing!

JC