RESTRICTED ON RESTRICTION!

Hey everyone. Most of you from what I am reading probably don't remember me. I joined this forum nearly a year ago when I had my consult at OCC. At consult I was told I had to lose 50lbs before I was able to get banded. It took me 3 months but I did it and in August of 2007 I got banded my Dr. Ortiz which I might add is the best thing to ever happen my life 28 year old life! Has it been easy? NO. Has it been a struggle? YES. Does this forum help out? YES and NO. Yes as far as hard questions being answered quickly by experienced bandsters. No meaning I personally prefer face to face support vs. online assistant with this struggle we call weight loss.

My struggle with this weight loss journey is that being 8 months out I am barely starting to lose weight. Yes I said 8 months! Since my 1st fill I have had no restriction what so ever until now. Some of you probably fine this hard to believe but everything I say is true. And trust me before anyone tries to shoot me down because they think I'm talking smack on the band let me say it loud and clear that I am not shooting the band yet encouraging everyone out there thinking about it to do it and see it work for you in ways that it might now work for others, or should I say as fast as others. I don't regret getting the band but just never realized how the band is so picky. I've met several people since my surgery that have gotten banded and come to realize restriction with this band comes and goes like night and day. Like I was saying since my 1st fill in late September I haven't had any restriction what so ever. Up until my 5th fill last Tuesday which brings me to 7.22 cc's in my VG band I finally have restriction and am already starting to drops those nasty LB's. The band so far has helped me keep off ALL MY pre op weight loss which is totally awesome! It's helped me not gain any of that back, nor gain extra. I am very thankful for this band and am confident it will assist me in getting to my goal which is not a "skinny" life but a more healthier one. Like I mentioned I have had 5 fills and have been threw so many stages with this tricky band. I've gone thru the whole "I'm going to conquer the world", "Oh my god why did I get this damn band", "Why in the hell did I tell certain people", "I hate this band!!!", "I haven't lost any weight I'm so depressed" phase!!!!!!!! I do believe everyone struggles with weight for all types of reasons. I truly believe it had to take me 8 months to finally get the hang of this thing for me to go thru the motions I HAD TO GO THRU. My journey is mine, not anyone's else's. I'm fat for a reason, unmotivated for a reason and am learning day to day why I was the way I was. I hope anyone reading this is just honest with people you come across on your band journey. If you can eat awhole lot and have the band why not be honest to others about it? Don't hide that this band isn't perfect, because it's not. I'm not perfect, why would I expect the band to be?

As I mentioned earlier the support that has gotten thru to me the most is face to face people to people contact. I encourage everyone out there to start a thread on locals in your area for monthly meet ups. That's what I've done and have had great results. I live in Orange County, California and have had a group of bandsters I meet up with about once a month if not every other month. We meet up, talk about our struggles and have learned we can all be honest about what works and doesn't work with our bands. It's so nice to have people know exactly what I'm going thru. Right after surgery I met a woman who had been banded and told me once it took her almost 8 months to get a hang of this band issue and that once you do it gets a lot easier once you learn how to completely work what you got. I listened to her advice and never thought I'd be posting this post and look I'm here nearly 9 months out of surgery telling you all my struggle. I encourage you all to find support in your area with other bandsters who can help each other when it comes to struggles and accomplishments.

Fills to me have been my biggest struggle. The gym has always been a part of my journey but with my head trips I always felt since I went to the gym I can eat more, LOL. There goes another issue that I must deal with, and I am...dealing with it! I've met several people and all have met that sweet spots at different times. I have a friend who is at 2.2 cc's and is very tight! I have another band friend who is at 10 cc's and barely has restriction!!! It so varies across the board. My surgeon has discussed this issue with me a couple of times and just reminds me everyone's stomach is so different, from the shape to the way the saline grips in between the band and how it can shift over time. I've learned to deal with what works for me. I'm dealing with emotional reasons why I would want to over eat and realize everyone should confront reasons why obesity rules our life. Don't just get the band and expect for you to have restriction from day 1. On the other hand that can sound very ignorant to those who do have restriction from day 1. I am grateful to those who have had an "easier" time and I am grateful as well to be able to get more fills when I had no restriction. I am very thankful to have had gotten the band am will continue to see my support buddies and help everyone out. At the beginning and up until today I have seen more inches fall off than anything. If I really analyzed the 15 lbs. I've lost since surgery last year I would kill myself mentally but rather I look forward to tomorrow and another day I can start again. Get into the gym, go for fills if needed and go to support meetings and realize if your having trouble with the band or a set back that you are NOT ALONE.

Another thing I do see on this forum is that once a few months have passed since people get their band they stop posting on here. I am guilty of that myself and now that I am back on track I will keep everyone updated and help anyone that needs it. It's nice to hear from old friends on here and at anytime am willing to assist anyone with questions they have. I wish everyone the best and look forward into anyone's stories/journeys/struggles whether good or bad! Be good to yourself.

- Mike

Hi Mikey!!!

I remember you, we talked for a minute on here before our surgerys. ( I was 8-20-07 ) Great post and all the things you talked about are very important for us to remember. THANKS!

Keep your chin and spirits up,

Amber

Hi Mikey!!

sorry to hear about your struggles but stories like this help to remind us that the band is NOT a magic pill and many people (well probably all people) will struggle at some point. Thanks for taking the time to post this, you are right that many bandsters stop posting a few months after surgery. However I think you'll notice that with the publicity from the Oprah show there is a whole new group of really motivated bandsters who are posting a lot!!

I have a small group of local bandster buddies that I meet with for coffee every week or so but I really find that posting here helps more because no matter what time or what's wrong someone here will have the answer, and usually pretty quickly!! I think there is a happy medium for everyone and you have to find what kind of support is best for you!!

Welcome back to the board hope to hear more from you in the future!!

Thank good you posted that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can now have some hope.... I had my band put in on the 20th jan now 3 months and i have only lost 5 kg which is nothing and i just had my 3rd fill this morning so i hope i will see some results.

I really regret telling all my friends and now everyone knows ive had surgery and pepole keep asking me if i have lost any weight , gee look at me have i???????????? if feel like a failure, at least its coming of slowly.

My doctor said it can take a few fills before we find the right restriction for me everyone is different. I have started to exercise now and really watch my diet.

I would love to hear from u and see how your progress is going. Gee we feel the same i thought why the hell did i spend all this money for and nothing is happening im not good with pound i think 5 kg is about 3 pounds dammmmmmmmmmmmm.

anyway good luck

from victoria

Thanks for your post. I will be banded in two days. Experiences like yours really helps me realize that this is just a tool - not a majic formula to fix my problem. Glad you are finally starting to lose. And PLEASE keep us posted on your progress

Thank good you posted that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can now have some hope.... I had my band put in on the 20th jan now 3 months and i have only lost 5 kg which is nothing and i just had my 3rd fill this morning so i hope i will see some results.

I really regret telling all my friends and now everyone knows ive had surgery and pepole keep asking me if i have lost any weight , gee look at me have i???????????? if feel like a failure, at least its coming of slowly.

My doctor said it can take a few fills before we find the right restriction for me everyone is different. I have started to exercise now and really watch my diet.

I would love to hear from u and see how your progress is going. Gee we feel the same i thought why the hell did i spend all this money for and nothing is happening im not good with pound i think 5 kg is about 3 pounds dammmmmmmmmmmmm.

anyway good luck

from victoria

5kg is equal to 11lbs which is great, if you were like me an usually GAINING 1-2lbs per month you've managed to make it 4 months without gaining anything, so that is an achievement right there!

Your doctor is correct, it usually takes a few fills to find that "sweet spot" but once you get there the weight will start falling off and all those who aren't supportive of your choice to be banded will be able to SEE your great progress!

Hang in there!

I am so glad you posted. You are a real-life example of things we can expect. I hope you keep posting!

Hey Mikey,

:lb14: Glad to see your post, I want to see the ones who struggle and their experiences as well as those who are doing great. You have a healthy attitude and with time I am sure the band will be a bit more helpful for you. I am so glad that you are keeping at it and knowing the weight won't come back is the best part!

Thanks for posting and using such honesty to describe your experience.

I have my first fill in less than 2 weeks, and I am nervous after reading all the posts here. Will I be able to eat steak again? Or soft tacos?

I have stressed recently, as well as a few other bandsters, because we feel like we're doing something "wrong" because we're all not losing like everyone else on here. I stopped cold on losing after the first week. I lost 10 pounds after the band, and that's been it. I'm more active, I drink more fluids, and yet I'm not losing a thing! It's frustrating. I've gotten down several times (in fact, was going to post about it today!) and am tired of going thru this yet again, another yo-yo cycle. So many people know I was banded and they are all asking me - how much have you lost, etc. I'm actually sad to say - nothing since week 1. I watch SOOOOO many others on here losing pounds left and right. It's frustrating. I'm happy for them, but it stressed me out even more. What is making me different? Why am not losing? Am I doing something wrong? After reading your post - I realize it's just me - and that's okay. I'm glad I'm not the only one NOT losing. All I can hope for is that my time will come - AND SO WILL YOURS!

Thanks again for posting this!! Good luck to you ><'

Hey Mike thanks so mouch for the post I am 2 1/2 months out and frustrated out of my mind that I haven't lost more!!!

Are you getting fills at OCC?? or local I'm from riverside area, and am so frustrated with the time it take to go to mexico. I found a place in LA. But was trying to find something closer.

Donna

Great story Mike!

I have yet to be banded, my surgery date is June 10th...and I am so glad for your honesty, I certainly don't want to start this journey with false expectations of miracles.

The band is a tool and healthy food choices is the key. You did very well not to gain any of your pre-op weight back without restriction, that's amazing!!

Best of luck to you and keep us up to date on your progress!

Take Care Cathy

Thank you. You are absolutely right. I too lost most of the weight pre op. I still struggle trying to get to that sweet spot. Not there yet. I am thank ful that I have not gained the weight back.. I have lost inches as well. I keep telling myself that the band is a tool. It is not a miracle. I get frustrated and I also have been working thru the emotional issues like learning not to over eat. No to fill up my plate like I use to. I still like to eat. I mostly get frustrated because I will have some restriction for a while. Then I don't. Has this happened to you? Your post really made me feel better. Thanks :rolleyes: