Has anyone gotten sick from food or water in TJ?

Ok so I live in Southern Ca, and have been to TJ a few times, and so growing up and even now, I am always warned not to drink the water or eat the food, that you could get sick. My mom who is going to come with me, is so worried about starving down there because she won't eat the food..lol. I was thinking of bringing water bottles, but obviously we can't avoid the food if we are there for a few days. What do you guys think?

I Go to mexico quit a bit and have never gotten sick. I always drink water bottles or coke no Ice. My husband and I ate everything in the hotel or dominos across the street so it felt pretty safe. I know lots of people on the forum went to different restraunts and had good outcomes. I would just stay away from taco stands on the street and drinking their water and Ice. You will love it! enjoy the whole thing (food included)

Ok so I live in Southern Ca, and have been to TJ a few times, and so growing up and even now, I am always warned not to drink the water or eat the food, that you could get sick. My mom who is going to come with me, is so worried about starving down there because she won't eat the food..lol. I was thinking of bringing water bottles, but obviously we can't avoid the food if we are there for a few days. What do you guys think?

I'm in So Cal too. OC. You will not recognize TJ. I guarantee you that. I was shocked by how clean and organized everything is. Not at all the TJ of our youth. The few people I told that I was going down there for surgery about fell apart. They thought I was out of my mind. I did my research and headed down there. I would recommend OCC and TJ 1000%. When the time comes, I would have no reservations about going down there for other medical procedures.

Today marks 9 days post op. The food at the Lucerna hotel is wonderful. And use your common sense - don't eat food from street carts. I brought bottled water.

I asked the hotel front desk about this and they assured me that everything at the Lucerna was safe to drink and eat for Americans. My dad went with me and neither of us had any problems.

Good luck and you'll be amazed at what TJ is like now. Like another poster wrote, it's not the TJ of our youth. I grew up in West Los Angeles and went down there a few times. It's so not what I remember.

You'll do great!!

We simply bought bottled water. Right across the street from the hotel is a convienance store with lots of options. Same with food.

Better yet, the hotel has two great restaurants that were safe. Rather enjoyable actually.

Taz

I stuck with the Lucerna's food and bottled water. They have bottled water in your room and when you run out just ask the maid or call the front desk for more. Like someone else said, there's NO WAY I'd buy food from a street vendor, I won't even do that in NYC.... YUCK!! [Did you see the story about them on 20\20??!!!]

The problem with unsanitary water in Mexico is no longer an issue. They now have clean pure water and proper filtration. Although people are still worried about unclean water, you don't need to be anymore unless you go to some remote section of Mexico. That is not a worry in Tijuana anymore. I, however, still wouldn't have the nerve to use a street vendor.

But you can do a google search on the subject and you will find that the unsanitary water problem has been corrected for several years now. They put in proper sewer and water lines along with opurification systems just like here in the states. People just don't seem to know that here and still worry.

But, in case you are STILL worried, everyone has bottled water there.

I had a lemonade at a cantina (lemonade with ice) and did get sick. I had a stomach virus for two or three days (been so long ago, I can't remember now). First trip, I had no problems.

Stick to the bottled water :)

I have gone to TJ and various other Mexican destinations for the past 15 years sometimes up to two or three times a year if I can get away from the business. I have NEVER come away sick in any way, shape or form. I drink bottled water as a rule, don't order ice in my drinks and eat food normally.

Hope that helps,

Jann

I would probably stay away from the food carts as well....BUT OMG there were guys selling popsicles on the street..YUM!!! They were like 3 for a dollar and tasted AWESOME. Just the ticket while shopping on Revolution Ave. in June! (Yes, I know it is now November).

If anyone is told they can have anything they want for thier last before surgery meal, I HIGHLY recommend the Spinach empanadas and the (shoot..I am no longer sure of the name...) Sopas? Something like that at the Lucerna. I LOVED the empanadas...and that is what I got for being good on my pre-op diet.

Reading this thread reminded me about something someone suggested to me when I announced I was going to Mexico for my surgery. I don't have immunizations for Hepatitis A or B. Do you think this is necessary? My surgery is coming up soon, so one of those vaccines (Hep B) I think takes some time and multiple shots to completely take effect. Do you think I should bother with it at this time?

Reading this thread reminded me about something someone suggested to me when I announced I was going to Mexico for my surgery. I don't have immunizations for Hepatitis A or B. Do you think this is necessary? My surgery is coming up soon, so one of those vaccines (Hep B) I think takes some time and multiple shots to completely take effect. Do you think I should bother with it at this time?

Thats an awful lot of money to spend for something you can catch anywhere in the world, even in the USA. I wouldn't worry about that. Mexico is not a 3rd world country and you will not notice a whole lot of a difference between Southern Ca and Tijuana. Plus, I have never heard of anyone catching anything there. The OCC is immaculate!

Good Grief - Chill out! Stop being so paranoid! It's like going to another state or any other country. Just be alert and be prepared accordingly but don't over do it! To date, I haven't heard anyone mentioned catching anything.

The clinic is totally, without a doubt, the cleaness place I been to and WAY cleaner than any hospitals I've been to in the US! I am sure the other bandsters can back me up on this.

Just concern with yourself and be prepare to have your Passport in order, enough money to spend on any shopping spree you may want to go, etc. Just like going to Japan or Europe, be cautious. If in doubt, buy your foods in restaurants and buy bottled/canned drinks to be on the safe side.

I live in San Diego and yes, TJ has changed quite a bit, to the better! They've really cleaned up to make it more enjoyable to visit. Enjoy your stay there, otherwise, there wouldn't be so many bandsters being banded from OCC!

I think she's wasting her energy worrying about the food and water. I go to Mexico frequently and have never had more than a mild case of the runs.

If you're in Rancho, you're driving. Take a couple of bottles of water and buy a couple more when you run out. The food is fine, but avoid ice and lettuce.

Ironically, it's not like any of us would die if we did get sick and lose 20 pounds. :P

Not for this trip to Mexico, but yes, you should get them updated. You're going 4 miles south of the border, and 18 miles south of the San Diego airport.

They have Costco and Starbucks.

You'll live. :D

I drove there, too, and brought water. I never once thought about drinking the water from the tap there. If I go anywhere in the US, I drink bottled water. Never from the tap. And I knew I wasn't going there to eat :(. Just know you are not in the third world in TJ. Not anymore. I really hope that the scary reputation that TJ once had will be replaced by high recommendations by those who have seen the new and improved TJ. I look forward to going back (not just for fills) to hang out and goof around as a tourista. TJ, Rosarito (another place completely changed for the better) and Ensenada. For those of you in So CA (like me) I realized that Baja CA is the best-kept secret right here in our own backyard.

You've got that right Susanna!

Baja is really something else nowadays! I also took the Riveria Cruise down to Cabo and BOY!, did they change since the last time I was there!!1 It's so amazing and huge ~ I didn't want to leave!

Anyway, the point is, everything changes and it's a good thing in TJ!