how long

I JUST GOT BANDED 2-16-09. FOR THE MOST PART EVERYTHING IS GOING WELL. I JUST WANTED TO GET AN APPROXIMATE TIME FRAME THAT I WILL BE FEELING GAS PAINS AND DISCOMFORT. EVERYTING TIME I BURP IT GIVES ME CHEST PAINS ALSO. NOT TOO BAD BUT I JUST HOPE SOON I WILL BE FEELING NORMAL AGAIN. IF ANYONE CAN GIVE ME SOME INFO I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.

THANK YOU

LAURA

Laura - this is totally not going to be what you want to hear....but everyone is different and one person could have no gas pains (me this surgery but others I have actually made myself hyperventalate and pass out it was so bad)....to others who have the pain for weeks - or even a month or more. Just walk as much as you can as it really truely helps (as I discovered from that horrible experince)

I had serious gas pain in my shoulder when I got banded, I looked to this message board and most people said 2 weeks to a month. It was exactly 2 weeks and 4 days for me. I was on a pain killer from my home doctor everyday and it was REALLY bad. It doesn't sound like yours is too bad so hopefully yours will go away sooner. I tried heat packs, walking, tea, gas x, phazyme and basically everything anyone recommended. But the only thing I believe made a difference was Milk of Magnesia, you are in the bathroom quite often but it is worth it. Good luck!

Hi hun. I was banded almost a month before you. I had the same exact question as you...HOW LONG!? As I searched this OCC forum it appeared everyone was a little different. My experience was at the end of the 21 liquid diet - the gas pain was pretty much gone. I took about 2-6 gas-x strips a day. I'm pretty sure they helped. BUY THEM ASAP! Of course, everyone will say WALK! I would pace my house with my left arm up and over my head. Just know that it will pass. :) Its GREAT to not have it! I remember getting it SUPER bad in my left shoulder - weird how gas travels into the nooks and crannies like that, right? I thought gas was an abdominal thing only...

Try all the remedies people mentioned..you never know what will help you most.

Oh and I'm getting my first fill in a few weeks...I hear from this board that after fills you can get the gas pains back :( Dang! Ah well....life with the band and it's little issues are better than my ever enlarging body before the band.

Be well,

Jennifer

I JUST GOT BANDED 2-16-09. FOR THE MOST PART EVERYTHING IS GOING WELL. I JUST WANTED TO GET AN APPROXIMATE TIME FRAME THAT I WILL BE FEELING GAS PAINS AND DISCOMFORT. EVERYTING TIME I BURP IT GIVES ME CHEST PAINS ALSO. NOT TOO BAD BUT I JUST HOPE SOON I WILL BE FEELING NORMAL AGAIN. IF ANYONE CAN GIVE ME SOME INFO I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.

THANK YOU

LAURA

Oh and I'm getting my first fill in a few weeks...I hear from this board that after fills you can get the gas pains back :( Dang! Ah well....life with the band and it's little issues are better than my ever enlarging body before the band.

Be well,

Jennifer

Hey Jennifer,

I had gas pains as mentioned above, I just go tmy fill a week ago and noticed that I get shoulder pain when I eat too fast, it seems to be managable and definitly not as bad as it was post op...hope that helps a bit. :)

I also was banded on 2/16/09...today is day number 4 and I fill 100% better. Walking seemed to work for me. My abdomin is feeling better also, felt like I had done 5 million sit-ups right after surgery. I've enjoyed reading the post, it's been quite informed.

Fanomo (FatAssesNoMore) :rolleyes:

I am also nearing the end of my three week liquid diet and the gas pain has been the worst part of the whole process (though I would not trade it for anything as i HAVE LOST 24 lbs already)...the gas was so bad that by the middle of the afternoon I could barely take a breath in...it hurt so bad!!!

Nothing helped me...gas x strips, other different gas remedies...I was at the drug store everyday trying something new.

I started taking prune juice and benefibre thinking it would work the gas out... not really.

I started taking HMF Powwder (from a health food store) that contains acidophilus... a probiotic that helps theintestinal tract with good bacteria. It seemed to take some of that gas away...I have been feeling relief since I started taking it 3 days ago.

i hope this helps and I hope you start feeling better!

I too had gas pain and still do. At first I would use a heating pad and that really helped. Try not to sit in bed too long, or stay in one position. I was banded 12/3 and now the only time I have shoulder/gas pain is if I am hungry or full. Funny, I know, but like it's been said we are all so different and our journeys are each our own. The phazyme will help as well as the gas strips, just know we all feel your pain, and we have lived through it and so will you. Hang in there!!